Over the course of the 2013-2014 TV season, ABC’s “The Goldbergs” has become an underrated gem. The family, set in 1980-something, will close out its freshman season tonight, and here are five reasons to tune in:
1. Because it wouldn’t be a true episode of “The Goldbergs” without patriarch Murray (Jeff Garlin) in his tighty whities, there will be one last underwear scene before the show returns next fall – yes, the comedy has been picked up for season 2.
2. After a full season of Barry getting dumped on, the middle child finally gets a win – or 2. Saying any more would probably get us into deep trouble, but it’s totally worth a watch.
3. Wendi McLendon-Covey was one of the breakout stars of “Bridesmaids,” but she’s been a improv legend since her “Reno 911!” days. All of that said, if you haven’t been watching her churn out some of the best comic performances on television in the past year as the Goldbergs’ “smother,” Beverly, you’ve been missing out.
4. 22 episodes in, Murray is still quite the man of mystery, never telling stories about his life, unlike his chatty helicopter-mom wife. But a blast from the past will have him showing off some signature sports moves and maybe a little insight into the loveable grump.
5. As the title of the episode says, there will be a “sweater party.” But what exactly that means, you’ll have to tune in to find out!
The season finale of “The Goldbergs” airs Tuesday night at 9pm on ABC. Will you be watching?