© Foodio | Dreamstime

Moscow Mule Fans Your Copper Cup Won't Kill You

After the mugs were banned in Iowa there was a bit of a freak out!

August 11, 2017

There was a bit of a panic among people who drink Moscow Mules earlier this week. That panic would include me because it's my favorite drink currently. And the copper mug it's served in just makes it all the better. So what is the deal with the mug? Is it going to kill us or not?

Multiple news sources reported earlier this week that the copper mug that the drink is served in could poison people. 

An advisory bulletin from Iowa’s Alcoholic Beverages Division notes that, in keeping with Food and Drug Administration guidelines, copper should not come into contact with acidic foods with a pH below 6. That includes vinegar, fruit juice, wine and, yes, a traditional Moscow mule, whose pH is “well below 6.0.” the bulletin says. And so began the panic. 

But remember, you should never believe everything you see, hear, or read on the internet. A Chemist actually debunked the rumor about the mugs. You can read her explanation here

I did some further research on Snopes and found this information. According to the site, the rumors about the mugs poisoning people are only partially true. "It's not clear how long a cocktail would have to sit in a copper mug, and how many drinks someone would have to drink in order to feel the symptoms of copper poisoning."