© Enrique Gomez | Dreamstime

Could Your Christmas Tree Be Making You Sick?

Feeling a bit under the weather? It could be the tree.

December 6, 2017

The Christmas tree is up and looks gorgeous. But since you've put up your real tree you've been feeling a bit under the weather. Is it the change of season, the flu, or could your tree be making you sick?

I love the smell and look of a real Christmas tree. Sure, they require a lot more maintenance to keep them looking their best through the Holiday season, but they are so worth it. There's nothing like the smell of a real Christmas tree, right? 

Wrong if you're like me and have an allergy to them. My family always opted for a real tree, and as soon as that tree came into the house, I would get cold-like symptoms. Itchy, watery eyes, runny nose, and continuous sneezing too. As it turns out, it wasn't a cold, but something they call Christmas Tree Syndrome

It's not the tree itself that's making you feel sick. It's the mold that grows on the trees when they are kept in your warm home. The warmer you keep your home, the faster this mold will grow causing symptoms to worsen. 

So the good news is that it's not the smell of the tree that's triggering your allergies. If you want to feel still like you have a real deal tree without the mold issues, you can always get room spray, candles, and even sticks that go in your artificial tree that give it that real tree smell. 

Honestly, even if I didn't have an allergy flare up from a real tree, I'd still get a fake one because of the possibility of bug infestation. 

As someone who hates pretty much all bugs, this freaks me out and makes my skin crawl.